Lush Private Lodge
Lush Private Game Lodge Slide
Lush Private Lodge is the newest addition to the accommodation options provided by Black Rhino Game Reserve, a private concession within the world-renowned Pilanesberg National Park in the North West province.
Secluded amid an indigenous forest grove, this elite boutique Lodge stands out for its understated style and natural finishes which serve to emphasise the beauty of the surrounding wilderness and draw your focus to the magnificent views.
Lush offers guests a choice of five luxury suites – three of which are bush-facing and two mountain-facing suites – all designed to afford you maximum privacy and comfort.
Each exquisitely-appointed suite features an emperor-sized bed (which can be exchanged for twin ¾ beds), a full bathroom complete with an indulgent freestanding tub, an open-air shower, expansive wooden platform, and plunge pool.
Additional suite facilities include a refreshment station with Smeg bar fridge and Nespresso coffee machine – where you can prepare a cup of Lush’s Fair-Trade fresh coffee blend – and a range of deluxe body products.
Please note that Lush only caters to children aged 12 years and older unless in those instances where the Lodge is booked on a sole-use basis for a family or group getaway in which case guests of all ages are welcome.
Lush’s multi-level guest hub comprises a congenial bar area, dining room, and sunken sitting room. The open-plan interior leads onto a wraparound viewing deck where you can laze away the tranquil sunny afternoons in the inviting outdoor living area or tuck into the delicious cuisine in the social outdoor dining space. A traditional Boma is positioned a little distance from the main guest hub, the perfect venue for al fresco dinners alongside a central firepit and cosy barbeque evenings under starry night skies.
There is even a gift curio shop where you can hunt for a souvenir of your African adventures including the Lodge’s bespoke blend of Fair-Trade coffee whose taste and aroma are sure to prove a special reminder of your amazing breakaway.
Having exclusive traversing rights across 55 000 hectares of untamed bushveld, Lush assures guests an authentic and memorable safari experience with the chance to see the Big Five, the endangered African wild dog as well as a great diversity of other game species.
Activities include twice-daily game drives – with morning coffee and late afternoon sundowner stops along the way – and guided nature walks accompanied by certified field rangers. Or enjoy a fresh perspective on the Black Rhino and Pilanesberg Game Reserve’s resident bird- and wildlife by booking a hot-air balloon excursion.
Golf enthusiasts can escape to the nearby Sun City Resort Complex – which lies about a half-hour’s drive from the Lodge – for a round on Sun City’s championship Gary Player golf course or one of the Lost City’s courses. Alternatively, head to Sun City’s Valley of the Waves for a fun-filled family day.
With a sound reputation for warm African hospitality, flawless service, and superb setting, Lush Private Lodge is the ideal safari destination for the sophisticated traveller.
- Covid-19 and Beyond
- Getting Here
- Lodge Life
- Need To Know
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
|Details||1 Jan 2022 - 6 Jan 2023|
|Standard Suites - Per Person Per Night (sharing)||R5 210|
|Standard Suites - Per Person Per Night (single)||R7 290|
|Luxury Suites - Per Person Per Night (sharing)||R6 290|
|Luxury Suites - Per Person Per Night (single)||R8 800|
|Child rate: |
Lush accommodates children from the age of 10 years old.
Children aged 10 & 11 years old are charged 70% of the applicable rate.
From 12 years, standard rates apply.
|Exclusive Use per night (for all 8 rooms)||R89 000|
Look at our Special Offers for SA Residents under our special offers section!
Arrival& Departure Times
Check-in: 14h00 | Check-out: 11h00
*Deviation to these times by special arrangement only
- Luxury accommodation;
- all meals; all teas/coffees and soft drinks; selected beers, selected wines and spirits;
- in-room minibar;
- two safari activities per day, with refreshments and snacks;
- Wi-Fi access;
- 15% VAT
- Gratuities; premium beers, wines, and spirits;
- Lush Boutique purchases;
- additional activities;
- purchases of a personal nature
- guided bush walks, at an additional cost and subject to availability of a guide; Black Rhino Reserve fees of R130 per person per day (subject to change without prior notice);
- spa treatments
For all bookings made within 30 days of travel
Full payment Is required within 48 hours of your booking.
For all bookings made more than 30 days of travel
A 50% deposit Is required within 48 hours of your booking and the balance 30 days prior to arrival.
Payment can be made via bank transfer, credit card (Master/Visa) or bitcoin.
- Lush Private Lodge reserves the right to cancel any reservation based on the non-payment of either the deposit or the balance of payment, without notice. Such cancellation may attract cancellation fees as set out hereunder.
- In the event of a reservation being cancelled by or on behalf of the traveller in writing after Lush Private Lodge has issued confirmation, the following cancellations fees will apply:
Cancellations made with more than 60 days to travel forfeit the 20% deposit
Cancellations made with 60 days or less to travel forfeit the full payment
No refunds are made for missed services, except in verifiable extenuating circumstances. Verifiable claims will only be considered if received in writing within thirty (30) days of the service being missed, and any refunds made will be at the discretion of Lush Private Lodge. Compassionate circumstances will be taken into account for cancellations due to uninsurable events.
|Details||01 Dec 2021 - 31 Jul 2022|
|per person per night sharing||R3 750|
|per person per night single occupancy||R4 490|
- Two safari activities per day
- All meals and snacks
- Soft drinks, tea & coffee, selected alcoholic beverages
- Park entrance fees (R130 pppd, subject to change)
- Premium beverages
- Spa Treatments
- Items of a personal nature
- Cannot be combined with other specials, unless specified.
- Proof of SADC Residency will need to be provided.
Clients that need a wellbeing boost? One that strengthens the body, invigorates the senses, rejuvenates the mind, and teaches relaxation techniques?
Throw in elephants, buffalo, the odd giraffe, delicious and nutritious food, et voilà, we have the Wellness Retreat at Lush Private Lodge.
Let them join two professionals in an inspiring and intimate setting to explore the many aspects of wellness from Friday 13 – Sunday 15 May 2022.
Lush is located on the Black Rhino Game Reserve – a private concession within the greater Pilanesberg National Park, containing both Kalahari and Lowveld biomes. Encircled by the hills of a volcanic ring-dyke complex, the lodge is tucked away in this wilderness Eden. Five individual, luxury suites afford the privacy of home, and its owner-managed team ensures you are very well taken care of.
Package rate for 2 nights:
R8,900 per person sharing
R13,500 per person single occupancy
2-night package includes:
- Workouts, talks and meditation
- 2 game drives per day
- Meals, tea, coffee, soft drinks, selected alcoholic beverages, in-room minibar
- Premium beverages
- Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance fee (R130 pppd; this will be added to the invoice)
- Transfers and additional activities
- Gratuities and purchases of a personal nature.
- The workouts include 3 classes of different yoga styles (Yin, Vinyasa and Power Yoga) and a High Intensity Intermittent Training session.
- Additional nights will be charged at normal rates.
- On request, a 3rd adult can be accommodated in a suite. At management’s discretion.
- From 12, children can join their parent(s). Adult rates apply.
LUXURY IN THE BUSH
Choose from three Bush-Facing and two Mountain-Facing Suites – distinguished only by their views. Covered walkways lead to each, interspersed between the trees and with their own private entrances. Wilderness-inspired interiors, innovative use of space, and extended fold-back glass doors mean you feel immersed in nature even when in your suite. Their décor gives a nod to the Lupini’s Italian heritage, though much of the furnishing is local, supporting South African artisans. Designed with every comfort in mind, your Suite is not simply a base from which to explore the surrounds, but a living space.
The Standard Suites refer to the original 5 suites at Lush.
These are spacious, double volume units, each with a furnished private deck, plunge pool, outdoor shower, emperor-size bed, pause area and a beautiful bathroom. Anyone who has stayed at Lush will agree that these suites are anything but standard. What’s in a name, right?
The Luxury Suites are 3 new suites.
These are currently under construction and will offer the same facilities and amenities as our original suites, but as the name implies, also a few extras. Instead of the apex roof design of the Standard Suites, the Luxury Suites feature a partly covered rooftop seating area to enjoy views of the reserve and the Pilanesberg mountains. These suites also have a larger indoor and outdoor surface area. We cannot wait to share the final product with you.
- Emperor-sized bed, convertible to ¾-bed set, with down duvet and pillows
- Pause area with well-stocked Smeg minibar, and Nespresso machine and coffee pods
- In-room, free-standing bath with a view
- Walk-in rain shower with botanical-infused body products
- Open-air shower made private by curved walls and bushveld foliage
- Bathrobes of terry cotton and full-length
- Hairdryer with two speed and three temperature settings
- Air-conditioning, personally adjustable
- Private splash pool and deck, with cushioned loungers and two-seater table
Please note: children 12 years and older are welcome; age restriction is revisable when the lodge is booked exclusively
Lush Private Lodge personifies laissez-faire luxury, where flawless service and warm hospitality come naturally, and world-class food is the order of the day.
Talking of the team members, they have been very busy during the past year. Both with a full lodge, courtesy of the incredible support of our local market, and with exciting additions. Earlier this year, the long-awaited wine cellar opened, which provides a fabulous alternative dining venue in true Italian style, reminding us of the owners’ heritage. And what is still to come?
·The three new Luxury Suites described above, are scheduled to open by 01 April 2022. This will take the total number of Suites up to eight. Availability has proven tricky at times, even over the past year, but 8 suites will be the final number, in order to retain the lodge’s boutique and intimate character.
· Also opening next year is the gym. Besides the high-end equipment, full bathroom facilities and changing rooms, the new gym offers a gorgeous view, turning any workout into a pleasure. The use of the gym will obviously be free of charge to guests.
· We expect that the two spacious treatments rooms will be a game changer for Lush. A spa menu and product range will be made available closer to the opening date, later this year.
A lot is happening at Lush, including phenomenal wildlife sightings in a well-protected wilderness area that is home to the Super 7, and a mere two and a half hour drive from Johannesburg.
INTO THE WILD
I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy. – Ernest Hemingway
Lush guarantees you authentic safari adventures to write home about. Exclusive traversing in Black Rhino Reserve and the Pilanesberg’s Wilderness Area offers the opportunity to explore an untouched environment. Access also to the public section of the park increases your chances of encountering a large variety of wildlife.
Game drives, with scenic stops for refreshments – offered by the lodge, on the traditional twice-daily basis
Guided morning bush walks bring you closer to nature – offered by the lodge, on request
Hot-air balloon flights* give you a different perspective on the herds – booked with a trusted tour operator, on request
Golf* at the nearby championship Gary Player and Lost City golf courses, set in parkland and bushveld, respectively – transfers by arrangement
*At an additional cost; please enquire upon making your Lush reservation
Life as we know it has been forever changed by COVID-19 – in some ways for the better, as we become more sensitive to the health of our people and world. This is good news for our wildernesses and after isolation, we’re all going to need a little rewilding, immersing ourselves in fresh air and nature to lift our spirits...
There has never been a better reason to make your next adventure a safari and we at Lush will be here for you...
We’re ready to make your journey one that was worth the wait, while continuing to put your well-being first.
We will all travel and holiday again, but we will have to do so more consciously.
Our priority remains the safety of our guests and staff, and we wish to assure you that every aspect of the Lush experience has been enhanced with this in mind. While we still face uncertainties, we’ve put in place measures that will assure you a safe and enjoyable stay with us.
The Lush Experience.
The Lush experience has always been reassuringly personal. Just five individual Suites afford you complete privacy – with your own entrance, deck and pool – the main lodge’s open areas give you plenty of personal space, while our attentive hospitality ensures you are well taken care of.
WE HAVE PUT THE FOLLOWING MEASURES IN PLACE FOR YOUR SAFETY & COMFORT
The number of guests on each game viewer will be limited to just six, allowing for the required social distancing. The vehicles will also be washed down and sanitised before and after every safari
On a daily basis, the Suites and guest areas will be cleaned and disinfected, and open areas sprayed down, with particular attention paid to high-touch surfaces and high-trafficked areas
Alcohol-based sanitisers will be placed in easy reach throughout the lodge’s guest and staff areas
Face masks will be made available to both guests and staff
All meals and snacks will be prepared following strict food safety protocols and will be individually plated. As such, we will offer full à la carte menus, but no buffets will be served
Our dining setups will be thoughtfully laid out, with tables at least two meters apart.
Our open dining spaces also create a lovely, more private atmosphere, adhering to the new standards
We will implement daily temperature checks (using non-invasive thermometers) for our guests and staff, with the utmost respect for their personal space and comfort
Staff returning to work will first undergo the mandatory isolation and testing, before being considered ready to attend to guests again. Our staff on site will also have regular health screenings
WITH A SPRINKLE OF ITALIAN FLAIR
Dining is an essential part of the Lush experience. Days here are punctuated by culinary delights – as anticipated as the activities. All menus celebrate fresh, seasonal ingredients in freshly prepared dishes. The Lupini family ethos of cooking now for now ensures consistent quality and satisfaction. Dining options range from light and healthy to downright indulgent, but special dietary requirements – including vegetarian and gluten-free – are catered for on request. Private dining can also be arranged.
- Breakfast – continental buffet and cooked meals to order
- Lunch – lighter meals that do not skimp on flavour
- Afternoon tea – spreads of sweet and savoury treats
- Dinner – chef’s signature tables and fireside barbecues
DISTANCES FROM THE LODGE
Nearest major cities:
- Pretoria – 185km/115mi.
- Johannesburg – 200km/125mi.
- Pilanesberg International Airport – 40km/25mi.
- Lanseria International Airport – 165km/103mi.
- O.R. Tambo International Airport – 230km/143mi.
- From Johannesburg, take the R512 past Hartbeespoort Dam and exit onto the N4 towards Rustenburg
- From Pretoria, take the N1 north and exit onto the N4 towards Rustenburg
- Travel along the N4, then take the R556 (Sun City/Pilanesberg National Park) exit
- Turn right at the stop onto the R556, and continue on towards Sun City
- Pass the Sun City gate and then Sun Village Shopping Centre (both on the right)
- At the four-way stop, turn right onto the R565 Derdepoort road
- Continue on for approx. 27km – the entrance to Black Rhino Game Reserve is on the right
- Friendly gate staff will direct guests on to Lush
SA Express airline locally services Pilanesberg International Airport. The airline offers twice-weekly flights (Mondays and Fridays) connecting Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo International Airport and Cape Town International Airport with Pilanesberg. An airport car rental service is available, and lodge transfers can also be arranged.
Lush is a contemporary lodge, shaped around the environment. In fact, it is a shepherd’s tree – sheltered from the wind and warmed by the morning sun, between hill and plain – that marked the position of the main lodge. Its minimalistic décor and natural finishes put the focus on the view, which at once draws you outside. With this in mind, multi-level interior-flowing-to-exterior spaces are designed for outdoor living. Spend time between safari activities reading or playing board games on the couches, sipping coffee in the bar lounge – a favourite spot to rendezvous at any time of day – or stargazing from the deck.
- Bar lounge serving the lodge’s own brand of specialty coffee, and a selection of local and international wines, beers, and spirits
- Open-plan dining and lounge area warmed by two fireplaces in the cooler months
- Breakfast bar for guests to help themselves to beverages and buffet choices
- Viewing/dining deck with tables set out for meal times, coffee breaks, and sundowners
- Boma for social outdoor dinners, with a barbeque, central firepit, and dining tables
- Lush Boutique offering a range of select items for guests to take home something of their time here
- Complimentary Wi-Fi with access throughout the lodge
Our wellness facility will open as soon as we can resume operations. The professional spa will offer single and couple treatments and is complemented by a fully equipped gym and a quiet studio for yoga, pilates and meditation.
The dining experience at Lush has become a signature feature. Building a wine cellar at Lush was the natural progression and it is ready to receive its first visitors to enjoy a glass of excellent South African wine. The informal atmosphere provides a relaxed setting for a candle lit dinner for two or a family meal. The roof’s stargazing deck doubles up as a romantic dinner venue.
ENSURING YOUR COMFORT
Average temperatures in mid summer (January) range from a low of 19°C/66°F to a high of 31°C/88°F, and in midwinter (July) from a low of 4°C/39°F to a high of 21°C/70°F.
Average annual rainfall is 622mm/24in, and usually occurs in the form of afternoon thundershowers during the period from December to March.
WHAT TO WEAR AND PACK
Comfort is the order of the day, though you may wish to dress more elegantly for dinner i.e. sport shirts and slacks for men, dresses or blouses and pants for women. For game drives and bush walks, wearing neutral-coloured, natural fibre clothing is recommended, and we suggest packing the following items to ensure you are all set for your safari experience:
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Warm pullover and windproof jacket (evenings and the winter months can be chilly)
- Sun hat, sunglasses, and high-SPF sunscreen and lip balm
- Insect repellent (provided by the lodge, though you may wish to bring along your preferred brand)
- Camera, video camera, spare memory cards, and charging equipment
- Waterproof bag for personal items
A DAY AT LUSH…
…happens in your own time. But the outline below gives guests an idea of what to expect
|Spring & Summer||Autumn & Winter|
|05h00 – Wake-up call||05h45 – Wake-up call|
|05h30 – Tea/coffee||06h15 – Tea/coffee|
|05h45 – Morning game drive (±3 hours)||06h30 – Morning game drive (±3 hours)|
|09h00 – Continental buffet and cooked breakfast is served back at the lodge||09h30 – Continental buffet and cooked breakfast is served back at the lodge|
|At leisure||At leisure|
|13h00 – Light lunch is served||13h00 – Light lunch is served|
|16h00 – Afternoon tea is served||15h30 – Afternoon tea is served|
|16h30 – Afternoon game drive (±3 hours)||16h00 – Afternoon game drive (±3 hours)|
|20h00 – Dinner is served back at the lodge, in the dining room/on the deck/out in the boma||19h30 – Dinner is served back at the lodge, in the dining room/on the deck/out in the boma|